Saturday, July 24, 2010

Whenever anybody question me about my mum's occupation, I would answer, 'She's a teacher'.
And they will then proceed to asking me what does she teach, and I'll answer 'Oh English' and then immediately proceed to either asking them to excuse me for my horrible English, or to set their expectations right by telling them maybe something like,' Oh but my English is not very good'.
You see, I don't think my mum ever 'teach' me English, well not formally at least, all we do is maybe speak English at home, and mind that with a mixture of some Hokkien. she corrects my grammar at times as i speak, ok maybe all the time,cause my English is that bad, ;p....The point is that, I just always think my English is rather bad, and when people say it's okay I ll go on to say,' No! its not okay,its not up to the English teacher's daughter standard' as if there is some imaginary standard or certain expectation of a certain level of English language proficiency that I am expected to be at.Even as I write this, I don't feel like posting this post as I can feel it is full of crap and grammartical errors.
But today a friend of mine pointed to me something that makes me feel a tiny bit better and which i find quite true. She said

" Well, my dad repair airconds,but that certainly does not mean that I have to be good in repairing airconds', - cadence

=)

2 comments:

Qii's One and Only One said...

well, my parents dint teach me to b miserable but i do al d times.

Cadence said...

i'm really happy that my words made you felt better :DDD